August 20, 2020
Dear parents, guardians and families,
I am writing to reassure you that MESC has made student safety our highest priority and that we will do everything we can to mitigate risk for your child by following the safety guidelines outlined in the MESC school re-entry plan. This includes: regular screening for illness, handwashing and sanitizing, hand sanitizer in all classrooms and high traffic areas, physical distancing, enhanced cleaning standards in all our schools, personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Parents are encouraged to have their children tested especially if they have underlying health issues or if exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19. Please check with MHS for dates, times and locations of mobile testing in Maskwacîs over the next few weeks.
- Strict stay at home policy for students and staff exhibiting cold and flu-like symptoms or symptoms of COVID-19 identified with the daily self-screening checklist found in the 2020-21 Parent/Guardian Back to School Information hand book.
- All students in MESC schools will be provided with 4 reusable face masks.
- All staff and students in Grades 4–12 will be required to wear a mask when physical distancing outside the classroom is not possible.
MESC Schools will be offering a blended program with reduced class sizes, with 15 people per classroom including teachers and students. Classes will be divided into two groups (cohorts), that will alternate between in-school classes and working from home on a weekly basis. Schools will ensure that all family members will attend school during the same week. Parents also have the option to keep their children home and continue to receive learning packages with online support. Parents will be asked to indicate whether their child will attend the blended school program or the learning from home option. Please note there is no school on Mondays and school hours are now from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Tuesday to Friday.
- All students must be registered by September 15th, 2020.
- Online registration form must be completed using the Parent Portal.
- Parents must indicate their choice between the blended school program or the learning from home option when registering.
- Online registration will start on Tuesday, August 25, 2020.
Schools will share school-specific information at the beginning of September to help students and families understand safety protocols in place at their school.
Your school will inform you about:
- Which cohort group your child(ren) is in.
- Any safety protocols and rules for the school, and
- Drop-off and pick-up times and zones if you choose to drive your children to school.
I encourage you to read the 2020-21 Parent/Guardian Back to School Information hand book found on our website and please contact your school for School-specific information. Thank you again for your partnership, cooperation and support and together we will keep our children safe.
Brian Wildcat, B.P.E., MEd.
Superintendent of Schools,