April 6, 2020
Dear Ohpikinahawasiwin (Parents and Guardians),
During this uncertain time, MESC continues to provide educational services to the awasisak ekwa oskayak of Maskwacîs to the best of our abilities. We are focused on making decisions in the best interest of children by following our four core values for guidance.
- Îyinîw Mâmitonehicikan
- Nehiyaw Pimâtisôwin
First, I would like to begin by thanking all the parents and guardians for your understanding and patience while we create and implement our Student Learning Plan. Your support is very important to our staff as they work to the best of their ability to compile a quality learning package for your child. I believe the following plan will support our students and families while learning from home.
MESC Student Learning Plan Implementation
The Student Learning Package will address student learning outcomes from now until the end of the school year.
- The Alberta Ministry of Education ordered all schools to cancel classes.
- A student learning plan was created by the Learning and Student Services team.
- During the spring break the learning plan was emailed to principals and their staff
- Learning and Student Services met with all principals to share information and details of the learning plan for students.
- Principals met with their teachers to review and answer questions about the details of the learning plan.
- Teachers were organized into groups by grades to collaborate on the development of learning materials for students
March 31 – April 3
- With great collaboration between MESC grades and schools, work continued on the development of learning materials that are relevant, fun, challenging and reasonable for parents and children to use.
April 6 – 9
- Teacher groups will work on completing the learning packages (which will consist of learning materials, worksheets, instructions and supplies). The learning materials will be printed into customized learning packages for each student.
- MESC will provide a parent resource page which will have links to online learning sites to supplement home learning for students who have access to technology and wifi.
- Teachers will continue to connect with students and families through phone calls and online.
- Some teachers are organizing google classrooms to connect with students.
- A schedule is being created to ensure that health and safety procedures are in place when parents pick up learning materials at the schools.
Wednesday April 8
- Instructions for parents on the schedule for picking up student learning packages will be posted on the MESC facebook and website.
Easter Long Weekend April 10 – 13
Tuesday April 14 – Wednesday April 15,
- Parents and guardians will be able to pick up the learning packages according to the schedule provided by your child’s school.
Thursday April 16 and Friday April 17,
- Ehpewapahk Alternative school will deliver student learning packages to student’s homes.
- If you were unable to pick up your student’s learning package during the designated time, please contact your school to make an alternate arrangement.
Please continue to check our website and facebook for up to date information.
Ahkameyimok, we will get through this together.
Superintendent, Maskwacîs Education Schools Commission