MESC Transportation Contact Number:
MESC Transportation manages transportation for students attending MESC schools and Maskwacîs students who live on-reserve and attend local Wolf Creek Public Schools, STAR Catholic Schools and Wetaskiwin Regional Public Schools.
Parents with students attending MESC schools will need to ensure their land location is up to date using the MESC Parent Portal to have their student assigned to a bus.
MESC students who reside in any of the Four Nations of Maskwacîs and attend a MESC school will be provided transportation by MESC Transportation.
MESC student transportation registration forms are accessible through your MESC Parent Portal. Register your student(s) online as early as possible to ensure your request is received in time for the MESC Transportation to take effect. If you need help with your child/ren registration please contact Candace Swampy at 780-585-3243.
Off Reserve Transportation
A student who resides in any of the Four Nations and attends school off reserve in either Wolf Creek Public Schools, St. Augustine School, Falun, Pigeon Lake Regional, Lakedell or Wetaskiwin Regional Public Schools will be provided transportation by Prairie Bus Lines. Parents/Guardians must register with MESC Transportation and their information will be forwarded to Prairie Bus Lines. Please call Cindy Nicotine at 780-585-3333 for assistance.
Responsibilities of Ohpikinawasowak (Parents/Guardians)
- Ensure that your child(ren) are dressed properly for current or anticipated weather conditions. The temperatures on a school bus can drop dramatically in the event of mechanical problems.
- Ensure that their child(ren) are at the designated pick-up point 5 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time;
- Help keep students safe before they board the bus in the morning and after they disembark in the afternoon. It is recommended that a parent or caregiver supervise at the bus stop in the morning, and be at the stop to take custody of your student(s) after they are dropped off in the afternoon. Daycare providers are required to meet students in their care at the bus stop.
- Contact MESC Transportation Department if your student will not be riding the bus in the afternoon, as the bus operator is otherwise held responsible for taking home every student he/she picks up in the morning. Drivers are not permitted to use a cell phone during their bus route, and will not be able to accept text messages or phone calls during this time.
- Collaborate with your principal and bus operator in order to correct any problems your student may be causing on the bus.
- Notify MESC Transportation Department when you no longer require bus service, or when a change in service is needed.
- Review the regulations and rules of conduct with your child(ren) to ensure they understand safety on the bus.
- If parents chose to have their child/ren picked up at the door, they must ensure there is an adequate and clear turn around area.
- Advise the Transportation Coordinator of any medical condition(s) that might require health/safety intervention by the Operator;
Bus Status App
To keep updated as to whether your child’s bus may be running late or cancelled please use the bus status app. You may download the “Bus Status” app in the Apple iTunes or Google Play stores (Apple or Android phones).
- Bus status will be updated online as they become available.
- Reasons for a bus status update can include, but are not limited to the following reasons
- mechanical issues, poor roads or visibility, held up at a train crossing, bus getting stuck, etc.
- Delay times indicated are based on an approximate time frame and may vary depending on the circumstances.